Maybe you are wondering how to safely self-inject your hormones. Let’s take a look at a beginner basic setup on how to do it at the comfort of your home.
The first thing you need to set up is your equipment. After that, just find a comfortable, well-lit working place and inject at the same time of day each time.
Firstly, clean your workplace are and get all of your things together
- Medication vial
- Disposable syringe and two needles
- 2 alcohol swabs (one for a vial, one for skin)
- band-aid (optional)
NOTE: You can use a 3milliliter or 1-milliliter syringe.
Wash your hands. Remember, handwashing is one of the most important things you need to do to avoid infection.
NOTE: Do not use a medication with visible particles, discolored, or expired.
Secondly, Preparing to inject the dose
- Take the cap off the vial. Just make sure that you turn it to the side to take it off. Then, take your alcohol swab and clean the top of the vial for 10seconds.
- Get your syringe. Put on a note that you need to use a new syringe.
For testosterone vial, the most common use syringe is the 1milliliter
- Get your needle. You can use a 23-gauge needle to inject into your muscle and a 25-gauge needle for subcutaneous tissue.
- Pull the 23 G needle cover straight off the syringe. Then, pull back the plunger and draw air into the syringe. The amount of air drawn into the syringe should be the same amount (mL or cc) as the dose of medication that your doctor prescribed. Do not let the needle touch any surfaces.
- Keep the vial on your flat working surface and insert the needle straight down through the center of the rubber stopper into the bottle.
- Push the plunger of the syringe down and push the air from the syringe into the vial.
- Keeping the needle in the vial, turn the vial upside down.
- Position the needle so the liquid is covering the tip of the needle.
- Keeping the needle in the vial, check for air bubbles in the syringe. If there are air bubbles, gently tap the syringe with your fingers until the air bubbles rise to the top of the syringe.
- Then slowly push the plunger up to force the air bubbles out of the syringe without removing the needle from the bottle.
- Keeping the vial upside down, slowly pull back on the plunger to fill the syringe with the medication to the number (mL or cc) that matches the dose your doctor ordered.
- After air bubbles are gone, pull the plunger back to the number (mL or cc) marking on the syringe that matches your dose
- Pull the syringe with the needle out of the bottle, remove the 18 G needle (discarding it into the sharps container, without recapping it), and place a new IM injection needle securely on the syringe. Remove the protective cap from the injecting needle.
- Check to make sure that you have the correct dose in the syringe. It that you use the exact dose prescribed by your doctor.
Thirdly, Selecting and Preparing the Injection Site
Vastus lateralis muscle in the thigh
- The injection will go into the outer middle third.
- Look at the top of your thigh, and imagine dividing it into a three by three grid. The upper thigh is a good site if you are injecting yourself.
Gluteus Maximus muscle in the buttocks
- Aim the injection into the upper, outer quarter of the buttock towards the hip bone (Approximately at the top of where a pants pocket would be.)
- Expose the buttocks and imagine dividing each buttock into four parts.
Fourthly, Give the Injection
- Clean the injection site skin with a new alcohol swab; let the skin air dry
- Hold the skin around the injection site by pinching up a section of tissue about an inch wide. (The portion of skin between your fingers will be the injection site.)
- Insert the IM needle into the muscle at a 90-degree angle with one quick and firm motion.
- After inserting the needle into the muscle, lift your hand away from where it is holding the skin.
- Gently pull back on the plunger of the syringe to check for blood
- If you see blood in the syringe, do not inject the medicine, and remove the needle immediately.
- Replace the IM needle and try again at a different site. ➝ If you do not see any blood in the syringe, you can complete the injection by pushing the medicine slowly into the muscle.
NOTE: You may feel some burning or pressure as the medication enters the muscle.
- After the medication has been injected, pull back on the syringe to remove the needle from your skin. Most importantly, dispose of the syringe and needle properly, using a sharps container.
- After that, gently press an alcohol swab on the injection site. Hold pressure on the site until there is no bleeding. You can use a band-aid if needed.
BENEFITS OF SELF-ADMINISTERED TESTOSTERONE INJECTION
- Convenient at-home treatment
- Lower monthly prices
- Fewer in-office appointments
- Prefilled syringes with your customized dose
TIPS FOR REDUCING INJECTION PAIN
- Never reuse needles
- Inject medicine that is at room temperature
- Breakthrough the skin quickly
- Supplement the needle straight into the skin, and pull it straight out again without altering course or on the other hand squirming the needle.
In the event that you have any question just leave a comment below: